Hi guys! Welcome back to my blog. Can I pat myself on the back for having another post within a week? You don’t need to answer! I’ve done it already lol.
In my last blogpost I spoke about how people tend to associate self-love with explicit images and how I think it’s more to do with lack of self-esteem and possibly validation seeking.
I’ve put together some points on how I practice self-love and I hope you find it useful 🙂
- Stop comparing yourself to others! Especially strangers on social media. The majority only show you what they want you to see and not all that glitters is gold. This famous quote sums it up… “Comparison is the thief of joy.” — Theodore Roosevelt.
- Start doing things that make you happy. So for example, I love taking pictures and I find myself randomly dressing up to take pictures at home without having anywhere to go. Although, my family thinks I’m crazy when they see me set up my camera and pose but doing this genuinely makes me happy. What makes you happy? Is it travelling, cooking, learning something new or reading? Set time aside mainly for things that bring you joy. Have you noticed that you’re of more use to people around you when you’re happy?
- Surround yourself with people that make you feel good. Energy is very contagious and a negative one will literally drain you! Trust me, I’ve experienced this before. If you have people around you that are constantly negative, makes you feel down, unworthy or anything far from positive then I’m sorry but it’s time to cut them off. This is something we have control over! You can’t control people’s behaviour but you can control who you choose to have around you so please let them go.
- Practice positive self-affirmation; receiving love shouldn’t only be from your significant other, family and friends. I think it’s very important to be able to give ourselves love by having positive thoughts. It’s so easy to criticise ourselves and think negative but the more we practice positive thinking the more we believe it. Give yourself positive words of affirmation because you deserve it! Yes, you deserve it. Here’s a list of ten words of affirmation by @tamikaarnold. Repeat this daily if you need too until you start believing in it.
- Start practising self-care. I can’t stress this enough! It’s so important. People tend to assume self-care is expensive but it can be as simple as painting your nails yourself, cleaning your room and turning on the candles or even going for a run. It’s literally anything that makes you feel good or feels like you’re taking care of yourself. I love being in a clean space so I take time out to clean my room and have my candles on because I find it so relaxing. This is probably my number one go-to for self-care.
- Learn to rest! I know this seems a bit obvious but not everyone knows how to rest. Either they don’t have the time or they don’t think it’s necessary. Always being on the go is only going to drain you. Take some time off to rest and I promise you you’ll feel better afterwards.
Don’t forget to like, comment and share 🙂